Our History

1914

The story of our school began in a house on Twickenham Green called St Catherine’s. The Sisters of Mercy were invited to come to Twickenham and open a fee paying school for the parish of St James’s

1919

The school moved to the present site of Pope’s Villa, with its buildings and grounds on both sides of Cross Deep joined by the underground passage known as Pope’s Grotto

1948

The Lawn was purchased. The ground floor was used as School Kitchens and Dining Room and the First Floor for the teaching of Domestic Science

1954

A pre-fabricated Hall with good stage facilities was built and paid for entirely by the parents

1960s

A continuous building programme meant we were able to be a full two form entry school

1991

The Sisters of Mercy moved out of St Catherine’s, after 77 years of dedicated service

2008

An extension to the Prep Department was completed

2010

A new Sixth Form Centre welcomed our first Sixth Form students for over twenty years. In addition we added changing rooms and new facilities for Art, Photography, Food Technology, History and Science

2011

Our new dining facilities were opened. St Catherine’s also played a special part in the visit of His Holiness Pope Benedict XV1 to St Mary’s University

2014

Celebration of our Centenary. The year was filled with special events which included Cardinal Vincent Nichols celebrating Mass on the School Feast Day, the creation of The Centenary Vine mural and a Carol Service in Central Hall, Westminster

2016

The Science Block was upgraded and extended