This course will appeal to students who have a keen and active interest in the subject and are independent learners. The depth and breadth of the subject means there is a lot of background reading to be done.

COURSE DESCRIPTION

Over the two years of the course you will study a British History unit, worth 25% of your total mark, a non-British unit, worth 15%, a thematic study of a period of around 100 years, worth 40%, and complete an independent coursework essay of 3000-4000 words, worth 20%. We currently teach The Early Tudors 1485-1558; The French Revolution and the rule of Napoleon and Russia and its rulers 1855-1964. Content may change and is annually reviewed.

POST A LEVEL OPTIONS

Studying History provides a student with skills which are not confined to the study of the past. Analysis skills are invaluable in many jobs, and the ability to analyse and then prioritise information is vital to decision making.

Well-qualified History graduates have no difficulty in getting good jobs in a very wide range of occupations – in business and finance, in public administration, in journalism and broadcasting, in teaching at a number of levels, or in research-based careers of various kinds.

“History is being invented in vast quantities… it’s more important to have historians, especially sceptical historians, than ever before”

                                                                                                                                        Eric Hobsbawn, Historian, interviewed in 2002